Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Change of Plans

My husband is out of town for work, and my childcare for this morning's 8-miler fell through last night. I've been feeling all beat down about it, and bummed, and sad. But I keep reminding myself that things tend to work themselves out. I may have missed my scheduled 8-miles for today. (The chances of getting it in today are zero.) But, perhaps I missed out on a car accident, or a wipe out while running, or something else. I won't know what it was, but it makes me feel better to think there's a reason for it beyond just to make me want to cry. I didn't cry...but I was feeling defeated.

This morning I received an email from my high school cross country coach, Dan. He sends a daily "Thought for the Day" and today it said,

"Opportunity often comes disguised in the form of misfortune or temporary defeat." 
   --Napoleon Hill

I needed that.

As I started typing this, I received a message from my friend, Sarah. She has been such an incredible support to me in my fundraising efforts, as her Uncle is battling Leukemia. In her message, she shared that her Uncle lost his battle with Leukemia late last night.

This fight is so important. The mileage, the occasional family stress, the long hours, the fundraising, etc. This is for those losing their lives to blood cancer. For those battling. For their families. Worth every minute of it.

Keeping Sarah and her family in my thoughts today.