Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sunday Shout Out: Week Eleven

Incredible that I am 11 weeks into this adventure. For those new to the blog, Hello! My "Sunday Shout Out" is what I've done each week since the beginning and I just show some love to all the people who made donations during the week.

Donations this week:

Mark and Kim are my Uncle and Aunt on my step-Dad's side of the family. Allie and Marcus are their children, and I used to babysit those two! Now Allie is a college girl, and Marcus is a highschooler! When did that happen?! Their family is a fabulous family to call my own. Like the rest of the family, they welcomed my brother, sister and I with open arms, for which I will be forever grateful. Allie is so great with my girls, and they really love her, as do I. And Marcus is so cute, my girls just get all shy around him! Such a nice guy. Gives me hope that when my girls are in high school, there will be nice guys like him around. Thank you all so much for your love and support. I truly appreciate it!

Wayne and Claudia are a truly amazing couple - the link when you click Wayne's name is an amazon listing with the books he has authored. I need to tell a story to explain how I know them. It is a great running story. Actually, this couple had a huge impact on my love for running back in the day. I met them as a 14-year-old at Jim Ryun's Running Camp. (Not familiar with Jim Ryun? Grew up in Wichita. Olympian. Only highschooler for many years to run a sub-4 minute mile. Awesome man. Incredible family...) Anyway, Wayne and Claudia attended the camp the same year I did - Wayne taught me everything I know about fast-twitch vs. slow-twitch muscle fibers. It was Wayne who suggested perhaps a shorter race would be my race (vs. the 2 mile) based on my fast vs. slow twitch muscle fibers! And Claudia is an amaizngly kind and generous woman. I can safely say they are one of the most Godly and honestly good couples I have ever met. And I've been in touch with them for nearly 15 years. They had a huge impact on my life. My running life, my personal life, etc. I'll never forget them. I am so touched they were moved to donate. They probably have no idea just how much of an impact they had on me. Needless to say, I'll never forget them. Thank you both so much. All these years after JRRC, I still admire and adore you. Thank you for everything.

Boot Block Volunteers:

Paige is my sister. Of course I love her! I've known her...well...all of her life. She's a dreamer, and she's a creative soul, and she's got a whole lot of awesome to offer the world. I can't wait to see where she ends up. I know once she's completely plugged in where she wants to be, she'll be incredibly successful. I adore you, Paige, and I love you so much. Thank you for standing on a corner for five hours with me. I truly appreciate you.

Nickki is a friend I've known for...maybe 8 years? And, thankfully, we've become even more close the past two years. She's awesome. And gorgeous. When you look past her outer beauty, you get to see the inner beauty...quite an amazing package she offers! Nickki is just amazing. Those who know her won't argue with that statement a bit. I'm so thankful to know her and to call her my friend. Thank you, Nickki, for taking your ENTIRE Saturday to be with me. She ran the race with me, and stayed the entire five hours of the boot block as well. What a trooper! I hope your back is feeling better, Nickki! You rock. Don't forget it. I love you! Thank you.

Kelli is a friend I met in college. We've always stayed in touch. She's a keeper! I was with Kelli as a "fan" at her first marathon. At that race, I swore I would *never* run a marathon. Ever. (Side story, the girl who watched Kelli's marathon with me also said the same thing - no marathon, no way, no how. We're both doing RnR San Diego through TNT. Crazy how life works out.) Kelli has one of the most amazing hearts ever. She's a world-changer, this woman. Kelli will be in my life forever. I love her. Thank you, Kelli, for showing me that marathons are doable...and that I'm as crazy as you are for wanting to do one. Or two. Or three. You rock, and I love you. Thank you so much for your help yesterday!

People in Wichita who donated at the boot block: You're all awesome. Period. Thank you for teaching me the lessons you taught me.

In Other News:

This entire weekend was awesome. One thing after another. Had a great day today. However, the Easter Bunny broke his leg and couldn't get to our house (bad Mommy and Daddy!) until after we arrived back home from my parent's house. And we all rejoiced that he was all better.

I'm just so grateful today. So many great things happening. If you haven't considered doing a marathon through Team in Training, I would highly suggest it. And I'm not just being crazy because it is important to me, based on my family history with blood cancer. (Though of course it makes it special and important to me...) The people I have met are friends for life - you know who you are! The Team aspect reaches so much further than just running together. I just think coming together for a good cause opens you up in big ways. Just throwing it out there, because it really has been awesome! Consider it.

Have a fabulous week. My first half-marathon is three weeks from today in Wichita. Many of my buddies will be running in OKC at the same time. Oklahoma City would be fun, given the company I would share, and the meaning behind the race. So excited for my "race", though I wish I could be two places at once...

Happy Easter!