Friday, January 22, 2010

The journey starts...right now.

I am 28 years old. Prior to having my three daughters, my goal was to run a marathon before the age of 30. I thought that was a pipe dream...

 But here I am. June 26th of this year, I will experience my first marathon (The Rock 'n Roll Seattle Marathon). All 26.2 miles. I will be 29 years old. Talk about getting in under the wire!

Justifying the time necessary for training seemed difficult. It may prove to be difficult, still. With this in mind, I wanted to figure out a way to reach my personal goal and to make an impact by doing something good.



Clayton is number three in family of six beautiful children. There's Abby, Ben, Clayton, Daniel, Eli, and Faith (yes - A, B, C, D, E and F. I love it!). This six-pack belongs to my cousin Michelle and her husband, JonRoy. Clayton isn't much older than my oldest daughter (she is five). Clayton was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL) on January 28, 2008. Clayton has endured more on his journey with Cancer than I have endured in my entire life. My journey to 26.2 is nothing when I put it side-by-side with what he has experienced in his life.

Truly, my upcoming 26.2 miles seems like a walk in the park. It is all relative.

I am pleased to announce that I will be running my marathon as a volunteer with Team in Training. All money I raise (and I have a lot to raise to meet my minimum - and yes I will ask you to donate...) will benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. It is near and dear to me, and to our entire family. Clayton isn't our only family member touched by this; my Uncle Mike is a survivor of Lymphoma.





What could be better? I am doing something I have always wanted to do...and better yet, I am doing something to benefit a wonderful organization and doing something in honor of someone that I love. I am pleased to do this, also, because none of us know if we will be affected by a blood cancer. It could happen to any of us. To our parents, to our children, to our friends and neighbors.

This is why I will run 26.2 miles. Please join me on my journey, even if simply via cyber-space. Oh, and have some ice packs and Advil ready if you are prone to sympathy pain. Let's Rock 'n Roll!