Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Shout Out - Week 2

Donations this week:

Naomi is a wonderful friend that I have known for a while now. Interestingly enough, I started reading her blog before meeting her in person. I took my oldest daughter to school one day and recognized her husband from pictures on her blog. I felt like a stalker, but introduced myself and said something lame like, "Hey Bob. I read Naomi's blog. I saw your pictures on there. Heh. Heh." They are a great couple with sweet kids and we are thankful to know them. (Bob is a fantastic artist. A professional artist. You can see his work here. Or in my living room.) Thank you so much!

Shannon is another one of those "internet friends" that I have technically never met. But seriously, we've known each other for so many years! Shannon understands the dynamics of my family - she and her husband have three precious daughters themselves. I rely on her for advice on how to navigate the wild world of females. She is so wise! Thank you so much, Shannon! Shannon's company is also going to match her donation. Yay Abbott!

Talk about "online" friends coming through - yet another wonderful woman is my friend Xochtle. Same story. Have known her many years and think the world of her. She's strong and confident and is a wonderful Mom to her daughter. Blood cancer touched Xochtle in a personal way, through her Uncle. Here is what she shared:  "My uncle lost a hard fought battle with leukemia 4 years ago, and if I could make it so that no one else has to fight that battle, I'd do whatever I could. Way to go, Hannah! You can do it!"  Talk about support. It warms my heart to know we're all on the same team. Xoch - thank you. You rock!

The final donation this week came from someone named Emily that I had never heard of. I racked my brain trying to figure out how I know her...and became embarrassed that I couldn't figure it out. So, I did what any person would do. Looked her up on Facebook. I found her, thankfully, and discovered that my cousin Michelle is our mutual friend. I sent her a message to thank her and to find out how she knows Michelle. Turns out Emily is a distant cousin of JonRoy. (Their Grandmas were sisters.) This was special to Emily because she knows Clayton, she used to volunteer for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society during high school, and her fiance' is originally from a place near Seattle (which is where I am running the marathon). The connections kept going and going! I truly appreciate her kindness. Thank you so very much, Emily. I'm glad to be connected with you now through Facebook in addition to our other connections.

This entire process is so mind-blowing. I can't believe how interconnected we all are. And while I have a tendency to worry about the bad in the world, this certainly reminds me all day long that there is also so much good. Warm fuzzies!

In Other News:

My knee is feeling great! We have the option to wait until February 8 to begin training, or we can start up tomorrow and repeat the first week twice. I'm going for it! Please think of me (in your dreams) at 4:30 tomorrow morning when I'm pounding the pavement on the treadmill getting my first run in! I am excited! I better head to bed or tomorrow might be a little less exciting.

Wishing everyone a great week!