Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Double-Digit Saturday!

TEN MILES. First time ever in the double digits! Whoot!

1 - 10:02
2 - 9:50
3 - 9:33
4 - 9:35
5 - 9:51
6 - 9:35
7 - 9:36
8 - 9:27
9 - 9:56
10 - 9:26
Total Time: 1:37:00

I won't lie. I wanted to croak after mile 7. The pace was really quick for a long run. For me, anyway. When I plug numbers into the McMillan Running Calculator I get that my pace for long runs should be 10:53 to 11:53. So yes, I was dying.

We had our coach tell us about the 100 miler he did (in 17 hours, 27 minutes. He's superhuman.) the second half of the run, so that helped pass the time. But I really think I need to be run smarter and slow it down as the mileage increases. 9-something is great for 6 miles. But 10 miles...wow. Yes, I "can" do it. Obviously. But the cost (much pain in the ankle) might be signaling something.

Honestly, this was the first time I didn't feel amazing afterward. Not even mentally. Proud, sure. I survived! But totally beat down. That has been a hard pill to swallow this week. But the most amazing thing happens - despite feeling down and out, I've received the most incredible notes/emails/comments of encouragement than I have this entire training cycle. It is obvious I needed to hear the words - they have been an incredible source of strength to me. Thank you!

I am forced into resting quite a bit based on my schedule this week, so it truly comes at the perfect time. I am going to ice and rest and get Zero Balanced on Saturday. Considering a massage as well and going to the doc tomorrow to see about some Physical Therapy. Probably not a bad idea, pain or not.

Despite my mental smackdown, I have been so energized with regard to raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in Clayton's honor. With that said, I am considering doing the Rock 'n Roll San Diego Marathon June 6th! (In addition to Seattle RnR June 26.) What can I say? I know this mental state is just a temporary blah and that I'll be back to being on cloud 9 in no time. Big decision to make in the next month! There is nothing like saving lives to motivate. Truly.